We are seeking applications from emerging artists, makers, producers, researchers and writers to join the seventh year of Open School East’s independent, self-directed and outward-facing development programme.
At Open School East, we are committed to improving the diversity of our organisation as a whole and building inclusive cultures every day. Therefore we encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds, generations and sections of the community, both with and without formal training.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday 1 October 2019, 12pm
Open evening: Wednesday 18 September 2019, 6-7.30pm
About Open School East
Located in the coastal town of Margate, Open School East is a space for artistic and collaborative learning that is free, versatile and non-exclusive. We run four complementary strands, all of which are entirely free of charge:
- The Associates Programme: an 11-month long development programme for emerging artists and cultural practitioners;
- The Young Associates Programme: a full-time, 10-month long, accredited arts and design programme for local young people aged 16-18;
- The Despacito Art School: a weekly art, craft and functional object-making programme open to 6 to 11 year olds who lack opportunities to develop creatively;
- The Public Programme: a multifaceted programme of events, activities and short courses open to everyone.
Central to our approach is a commitment to foster cultural and social exchanges between artists and the broader public. We do this by opening our programmes outwards, responding to our locality and providing an informal environment for the sharing of knowledge and skills across all communities and generations.
We equip artists and cultural practitioners at an early stage of their career with the tools to become resourceful and self-sufficient, and enable young people and adults alike to shape their experience and creative voice by becoming active learners and co-producers of our programmes.
Please click HERE to find out about the Associates Programme, including the ethos, the structure, the curriculum and how it supports the Associate artists.
Please note that we take applications from individuals only.
Your application can take the form of either a PDF file (max size 10mb) or a video (max duration 4 min). Whichever form you choose, please title it following this model: Firstname_Surname.pdf
Your application should contain:
- A statement: tell us about you, your background, practice, artistic, theoretical and/or life interests. Why are you applying to Open School East specifically? What do you hope to gain from spending a year at OSE? How do the proposed structure and the OSE mentors relate to your interests and practice? And what would you like to bring to the mix? (Please limit your response to 500 words or 1,5 minute if on video.)
- A CV: please don’t forget to include your date of birth, address, telephone number and email address (2 sides of A4 max – you can also incorporate this in the video, if that is your chosen format).
- A portfolio of up to 12 pages presenting your recent work: besides images and captions, feel free to include text and links to video and sound works stored on the Internet – please do not send us wetransfer links. (If doing this part on video, please limit your response to 2,5 minutes.)
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 1 October 2019, 12pm and the address to send your pdf or video file to is: email@example.com. You will receive an automated answer confirming receipt of your application.
Prospective Associates will be selected on the following criteria: quality of ideas and forms; a recognised need to access free and informal education; a genuine interest in being part of a group of people with different practices and experiences; a willingness to work collaboratively on occasions, be self-directed and interact with members of the public at different moments.
All shortlisted applicants will hear from us on Thursday 10 October and will be invited to join us for 1 hour on Thursday 17 or Friday 18 October 2019. For those who are abroad at the time, we are happy to Skype but, when possible, we would encourage you to come to Margate to witness OSE first hand. For the first 30 minutes, you will be given a tour of the facilities and get to meet a current Associate and ask them questions. For the last 30 minutes you will have a conversation around a hot drink and biscuits with OSE team members Anna Colin and Naami Padi, mentor Clair Le Couteur, and a current Associate. We will discuss your impressions and your motivation to apply in the first place, your aspirations and needs as a practitioner, and how OSE could help you meet these. We will also answer any further questions you may have.
Non-shortlisted applicants will be notified on Thursday 10 October too. We expect a high number of applications; for this reason we are only able to give personalised feedback to applicants who are shortlisted.
Shortlisted applicants will be notified about the decision by Wednesday 23 October.
For additional questions on the application process, you can email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before emailing us your questions and applying, we encourage you to have a thorough look at our website.
We’re organising an open evening for prospective applicants to meet the OSE team and current Associates ahead of the deadline. This will be on Wednesday 18 September 2019, 6-7.30pm.
Join us at:
Open School East
Adult Education Centre
1-4 Hawley Square
Margate CT9 1PF